Where to go & what to see
Churches and Monasteries in Herceg Novi
The fortress Forte Mare represents one of the most significant fortification stand points in the town. It is considered that that facility is to be thanked for the construction of the medieval Herceg Novi. Even today on the south east side of the fortress a part of the defensive wall from that time is being preserved. Today’s size, shape and dimensions the fortress got during the Turkish reign, and from that period also come the cannons with defensive crowns. In the middle of the XVI century that fortification was named “Jaka kula” (STRONG TOWER) or “Kula Apasbase“. Today’s name fortress Forte Mare receives in XVIII century during the Venetian reign, while for the set of additional constructions and today’s appearance of the fortress we should thank the Austrians.
The Old City Core – is actually a unique urban core, which dates from the late middle century, and contains fortification, sacral, residential and public facilities. The intertwined styles of construction of facilities still testify of the Turkish and Venetian reign in Herceg Novi. The Old City Core of Herceg Novi encompasses the Old town inside what used to be defensive walls, tower and bastion. North we have Kanli kula (today summer and movie stage), to the west we have Sat kula (CLOCK TOWER), in the south side there is fortress Forte Mare, and in the east there is a city drinking fountain and a gate Karaca. The old architecture which is found in the core has the ambience value, which is recognized by the braiding of steep streets and stairs which follow the cascades of the terrain.
The fortress Kanli kula – the name itself Kanli kula is of Turkish origin and it means a bloody tower. It is situated in the north part of the old town in Herceg Novi. With its size and position the tower dominates over the town (the height is 85 meters above the sea level). Kanli kula in fact used to be a complex fortification system. In the written documents Kanli kula is mentioned for the first time in XVII century. Over the time it suffered significant changes and destructions, so the exact time of its construction can not be determined precisely. The final shape the tower got during the time of Turkish reign while the Venetians, immediately after taking over Herceg Novi, made some remodeling. Today Kanli kula is mostly used as a summer stage.
Fortress Spanjola – is built during the time of Turkish reign (XV – XVI). However, it got its name by the Spaniards who during their one year reign over Herceg Novi have participated in its construction.
Sat kula – is also called Sahat kula or Tora. It was built by the order of Turkish sultan Mahmud in 1667.
The drinking fountain Karaca – is situated in the immediate vicinity of the east city doors in Herceg Novi. Even though Herceg Novi is a town that abounds in drinking fountains, drinking fountain Karaca was one of the most important ones in the town. The very access point which takes you from the entrance of the town to the drinking fountain which is in the immediate vicinity is made of cobbled stone, and from two very nicely built stone pipes flows a very strong stream of water. Today drinking fountain Karaca is yet another urban witness of the time of the Turkish reign over Herceg Novi (XVI – XVII).
The church Sveta Jeronima (ST. JERONIMA) – is situated in the Old town. It was built in 1856. In its place in the XVII century there used to be a Catholic parish church dedicated to Sveti Jeronim, the protector of the town. The church was ruined and in the XIX century the today’s, much bigger and more spacious edifice was built. The works of the greatest baroque painter of Boka, man from Perast, Tripo Kokolja, are preserved in that church.
The church of Sveti Leopold (ST. LEPOPOLD) Mandic – is situated below the church of Sveti Jeronim. It was built by the Venetians a year after taking over Herceg Novi. It is dedicated to the man born in Herceg Novi, Sveti Leopold Mandic, who was proclaimed a saint by the late pope Ivan Pavle II (JOVAN PAVLI II) in 1983.
The church of Sveti Djordje (ST. DJORDJE) and Spas (SAVIOUR) with episcopacy residence – that complex is situated in Topla (a place in the middle of the road between Herceg Novi and Igalo). The complex has two churches, but also a little building in which long time ago Montenegrin bishop Petar II Petrovic Njegos learned to read and write. The church of Sveti Spas was made of stone from Korcula in 1713. The iconostasis in the church is the work of Greek masters from XIX century, and it also has a lot of Russian icons. The little church of Sveti Djordje was built at the end of the XVII century on the remains of the old Turkish mosque. The iconostasis in the church is a work of the Boka Kotorska painting school. The churches have a great number of valuable icons, silver dishes, and old printed books. The episcopacy residence is situated in the west suburbs of Herceg Novi. It is a two floored edifice in which famous episcopes during the long history of the town (1690 – 1716) stayed. Since that edifice was repaired in an inadequate way, it lost a part of its authenticity
The church of Sveti Arhangel Mihajlo (ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL) – is situated in the center of the old town of Herceg Novi, on the square Belavista. It was built at the beginning of the XIX century. The interior and the exterior of the church associate us to the mixture of styles which contain Byzantine, Roman – gothic and Islamite elements. Iconostasis of the church was made of marble with the icons from the beginning of the XX century. Many printed books from Russia are being preserved in the church.
The legacy Dukovic – a great and with great taste composed architectonic edifice which is situated in the south east part of Topla. That part of the town close to Herceg Novi where the legacy is situated carries also the name Dukovina, because it belonged to the distinguished maritime – trading family Dukovic. In the year 1909, the descendants of the family Dukovic have gave their family house with the ground floor and first floor as well as the very nicely arranged garden with over 1500 m2 to Herceg Novi. Their wish was to make that facility a legacy which will be used for education of young talents.
Fortification Mamula – is situated at the very entrance in bay of Boka Kotorska, between the capes Ostro and Arza. During I and II World War there used to be a notorious camp. Even tough it was built by the Austria Mamula was never used in military purposes.
Monastery Savina – that monastery complex is made of three churches, shelter, cemetery, and a gorgeous tiled access. Monastery is situated on the uphill south form Herceg Novi. The exact time of the construction of the complex is not determined, though it is familiar that today’s monastery Savina originates from the XV century. The complex also has a small and a big church of Uspenja Bogorodice (ASSUMPTION OF HOLY MOTHER OF GOD) in which the works of the famous Kotor gothic school are being preserved. Also, the complex contains a shelter which has a rich collection of church books, dishes and icons.
Monastery Zanjice – is situated in the east side of the entrance in bay of Boka Kotorska. The monastery complex is made of the church of Vavedenje of Holy mother of God. It is considered that it comes from the XV century. In the interior of the church one can notice the tracks of fresco painting.